The 7 Things to Know About Chilicon Power Microinverters
All microinverters are the same, right?
Not really. There are distinct differences when you consider not just making power but how energy can be managed and controlled. Let’s walk you through them.
1. Many microinverters work by measuring voltage. Chilicon micros work by sensing current. This is a real important distinction.An example would be in using one branch circuit, you could use the current limiting feature in our Cortex Gateway and install 20, 350-Watt solar panels on one 30-amp circuit. This will allow you to install a 7kW system and not need to install a sub-panel.
2. Other competing products in the marketplace today require you to identify the specific panel manufacturer and the number of cells in each panel before you purchase their microinverters. This causes youto be extra sensitive to your panel selection. And often you can specify a solar panel in your original design and then need to change the design, due to things like the distributor running out of inventory.
And now you need to also find a new microinverter to match a 72 or 96 cell solar panel. By using Chilicon and our dual microinverter, you only need to think about stocking one, microinverter. The Cortex Gateway’s intelligence and sophisticated and flexible architecture allows you to use any solar module. This saves you time and the hassle of stocking multiple microinverters and makes the distribution channel also flexible in their ability to get you products with this versatile micro-gateway combination.
3. Clipping. This is a widely debated topic in the solar industry, especially as it relates to microinverters. Often we get excited when a larger wattage solar panel comes to the market. We are excited to tell our clients we have the highest power panel for them. But what if the microinverter you install is going to clip the wattage? You end up throwing away all the extra power. With Chilicon micros, you don’t have to.
We can install 2, 420 Watt solar panels on one dual micro. 840 watts packs massive power in a small footprint. Now you don’t have to throw away all of the extra power, saving your clients even more money.
4. Residential and commercial. Often micros are primarily focused on the residential market. Why, because often installing one micro to one solar panel on larger installations becomes cumbersome. But Chilicon Power’s dual micro is ideal for small commercial.
With the ability to have a 208V system built into the microinverters, you have the flexibility for small commercial projects that are also rapid shutdown compliant. And our Cortex Gateway will support up to 255 micros on each. Our commercial clients range from small ground mount systems to small Hilton hotels.
5. AC coupling in more ways than one. This is going to be the future of new systems and existing ones. Being able to send AC power to things like a battery or a generator are essential. So if you are looking for a solution that works for on grid or off grid, you want everything in one box.
Synchronizing to storage and dialing in set points are easy when you pair our micros with our gateway. This is especially relevant as utilities are not interested in net metering and or no export situations. Add in the future ofTOU applications and you have a scalable microinverter topography that is flexible to meet your clients’ needs.
6. Getting on and off the roof rapidly can make all the difference in making money on a project or not. Add in the training elements for field personnel and removing complexity and having simplicity eliminates confusion. But it all starts with the design. When you use Chilicon micros, from the design, procurement to installation will free up precious hours in your business.
When you stack all the positive benefits of having one microinverter and gateway to design, procure and install, there are savings across the company. We’ve been told it shaves a minimum of 2 hours off each installation. Most people don’t count all of the indirect benefits from the office team on the engineering and purchasing. Think about what harvesting an extra 2 + hours on each solar project would mean to you?
7. It is often an overlooked benefit of Chilicon Powers product lineup to gloss it over in the current world we live in today. People in the USA often associate anything electronic or virtually all things solar, to be imported outside of the boundaries of the country. This assumption that great products need to be manufactured overseas is a myth we can dispel. We believe manufacturing inCalifornia is a strength.
Creating local jobs and providing timely support and fast deliveries aren’t just ideas, but a reality.
Seeing products made here not only instills a sense of pride, but proof that things made in the USA can also be competitive with products overseas. Onshoring will strengthen our communities and increase the skills across a host of multi-disciplinary fields needed to manufacture world-class products in the decades to come. We welcome you to be part of this revolution. Give us a call today to help you power your community with locally made microinverters and gateways.
Your clients will be glad you did.